Make a Complaint
If you wish to make a complaint or a public interest disclosure, the frequently asked questions can guide you through the types of matters IGIS can investigate, who can make a complaint, and what you can expect. Please read this information to decide if IGIS is able to assist you.
You can make a complaint to IGIS about:
- an Australian intelligence agency (AGO, ASD, ASIO, ASIS, DIO or ONI), or
- third party security assessment checks for an Australian visa or citizenship application.
If your complaint is regarding a different agency, you may wish to seek the advice of the Commonwealth Ombudsman.
You do not need to provide all your contact information if you do not wish to, however we ask that you provide an email address. We ask for an email address so we can acknowledge your complaint. We will do this as soon as possible, usually within five business days. We will consider your complaint carefully. We will then decide what action to take and may contact the agency concerned for more information.
Many complaints are resolved quickly. Some complex or formal investigations do take longer, but we will keep you informed of progress. If we do not take action on your complaint we will tell you why.
Complaints about Australian intelligence agencies
To make a general complaint related to an Australian intelligence agency (AGO, ASD, ASIO, ASIS, DIO or ONI), please use the general complaint online form.
To make a public interest disclosure about an Australian intelligence agency (AGO, ASD, ASIO, ASIS, DIO or ONI), please see contact advice details below and read the section in frequently asked questions.
Complaints about visa and citizenship third party checks
If your complaint relates to third party checks for an application for an Australian visa or citizenship, you should read the information on Advice on Visa and Citizenship matters first. To make a complaint about third party checks for a visa or citizenship application, please use this visa complaint online form.
Other ways to lodge a complaint
If you are having difficulty using the online complaint form, you can use the following methods to contact us. You should provide your contact details, outline your complaint and, if possible, identify the agency concerned:
- Email us at email@example.com
- Send a letter to 3-5 National Circuit Barton ACT 2600
- Phone (02) 6141 4555 and leave your contact details and message. We will return your call to discuss your complaint. We may ask you to put the complaint in writing.
- Contact the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) by phoning 131450 for translation services and ask a translator to call us on (02) 6141 3330.
To make a public interest disclosure
Advice on making a public interest disclosure is available at frequently asked questions. If you need to disclose classified information please contact IGIS first so that appropriate steps can be taken to enable you to make a disclosure without breaching security procedures.
- Email us at PID@igis.gov.au
- Phone (02) 6141 4555 and leave your contact details and message. We will return your call to discuss procedures around your disclosure.
Do you have information that is related to national security?
Call the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400.